Are you doing somersaults in there?
Are you done yet?
A baby is God's opinion that the world should go on.
Barefoot and Pregnant
Before I got married I had six theories about bringing up children;
now I have six children and no theories.
- John Wilmot
Before you were conceived I wanted you
Before you were born I loved you
Before you were here an hour I would die for you
This is the miracle of Mother's Love.
- Maureen Hawkins
A bun in the oven
(From the begining of TV until the 1970's -the women's lib
movement- you could not say the word pregnancy on TV, so the writers had to come
up with other variations.)
He's/She's got his Daddy's chin.
(ultra sound pictures are rarely this clear
but people want to hope)
Hey! It's really cramped in here.
(ultra sound caption)
How To Get Pregnant:
1. Donate your last piece of baby equipment to Goodwill.
2. Send your youngest child off to kindergarten with a dance of joy.
3. Start writing that novel you've always dreamed about, or take golf lessens,
or join a bowling league.
4. Spend $500.00 on a new wardrobe for work.
5. Get a cat or a puppy.
6. Complete all the paperwork to adopt a child.
(I personally know 4 people this has happened to, including me.)
7. Let your best friend or sister use the baby name you'd been hoping to use
for your next child.
I began to love this little creature,
and to anticipate his birth as a fresh twist to a knot which I do not wish to untie.
- Mary Wollstonecraft
I hear your voice Mommy - I can't wait to see you.
I hope you are happy as an only child because I'M NOT DOING THIS EVER AGAIN!!!
It's all in the delivery!
It's really dark in hear - how's a kid to read?
It's so small in here I have to step outside to change my mind.
Just a peek to see how you're doing.
(ultra sound picture)
Life is always a rich and steady time when you are waiting for something to
happen or to hatch.
- E.B. White, Charlotte's Web
Life is the first gift, Love is the second, and Understanding the third.
- Marge Piercy
Love bears all things, believes all things,
hopes all things, endures all things.
Love never ends!
- 1 Corinthians 13:7
My skin just can not stretch any more!
No language can express the power and beauty and heroism of a mother's love.
- Edwin H. Chapin
Pregnancy… The moment a child is born, the mother is also born.
She never existed before. The woman existed, but the mother, never.
A mother is something absolutely new.
Tap Tap Tap … Could you send in some real food?
(ultra sound picture)
There is a reason God makes you pee every 2 hours during the last trimester -
it's training for the every 2-to-4 hour feedings.
The Miracle of Life!
There is no friendship, no love, like that of a mother for her child.
- Henry Ward Beecher
The weirdest thing about being sleep-deprived?
It affects your ability to be aware that you're sleep-deprived.
We have a place for you, right here in our family tree.
We shall, we shall overcome!
When the first baby laughed for the first time,
the laugh broke into a thousand pieces and they all went skipping about and
that was the beginning of fairies.
- J.M. Barrie, Peter Pan
Who will you look like,
How will you be?
Will you look like Daddy or me?
Ten little fingers and ten little toes,
A wrinkled up forehead and a cute button nose.
You will be crying with that first cold touch,
And so will I because I love you so much.
- Wendy Dahlke
-- Write letters to your child,
chronicling all that you are doing to get ready, how you are feeling,
how is DAD handling everything, how is he helping (or messing up), etc.
Describe: Shower gifts, painting/decorating the room,
Other baby classes, when baby started to move and when you and your partner first felt it.
Talk about morning sickness and what foods you couldn't stand to smell and how
you had to change your life to accommodate.
Write down what the doctor says at your appointments.
Write down little stories -anecdotes- when they happen (IE.
reading the paper and a baby kick moves the paper).
is something you can pass on to the baby but it would be nice if
you journaled some of these events in your album too.
-- Make your own baby book - suggested outline below…
When we found out you were coming
· how we told friends and family
· how they reacted - who fainted
· your general thoughts about getting/being pregnant
My First Trimester
· morning sickness -- what foods set you off
· how many home remedies did you try?
· doctors appointments
· date you heard the heart beat (who was with you- how did you feel?)
My Second Trimester
· ultra sound
· done/ or not done with morning sickness
· date you felt the first movement
· doctors appointments - weight gain - glucose tolerance test
My Third Trimester
· birthing classes
· showers and presents
· doctors appointments - weight gain
· visiting the hospital
· getting the baby's room ready
· faults alarms - Branstin/Hicks contractions - Fools 'um every time!
· over due -- what home remedies did you try?
· stopping for gas/breakfast/a pizza for Dad?
· Dad was late/ missed the whole thing! (Who was your coach?)
· you were almost born at home/in the cab
· music we played and focus item for Lamaze breathing
How we chose your name
· after weeks of debate…
· you were named after …
Gifts, Cards, Good Wishes
Our family tree
· Where do you fit on the family tree?
-- Take pictures of yourself each month-- tummy showing--
and write excerpts from your favorite baby book.
(What to expect when your expecting was my bible.)